This class is all about pushing our boundaries. Choosing different colors, using unexpected colors, and mixing modern with vintage are all examples of “With a twist!”
When I think about roses, I don’t think about black as a color choice. My first choice is always pink or red. So using black dye ink was definitely out of my comfort zone and a big twist for me.
I began with the large rose stamp from Altenew’s Watercolor Roses stamp and die bundle. Next, I used my Misti stamping tool to ensure an even and saturated black rose image and stamped two in black dye ink and another two in silver dye ink. Finally, I used the coordinating dies to cut them out.
Using my Misti stamping tool, I stamped leaf images onto my card base’s upper right and lower left corners. Next, I arranged Altenew’s Circled Greetings: Love Die in the center and ran it through my die-cutting machine.
I placed a black A2-sized black cardstock behind the die-cut and stamped base with double-sided tape. Next, I arranged the roses on top of the stamped leaves, attached them with double-sided tape, and trimmed the excess with scissors. Next, I added a few dew drops for a bit of sparkle. Finally, I added my project to a white card base and brushed on perfect pearls shimmer.
One of the colors I rarely think of using is orange. I have used it as a minor background color but never as the primary color scheme. So orange florals, for me, are a big twist.
I chose Altenew’s Watercolor Wonders Stamp Set and distress oxide inks in Carved Pumpkin, Abandoned Coral, and Crackling Campfire for this project. I also used a light yellow colored card stock as the card base.
To achieve even layers of ink, I used my Misti stamping tool. I stamped the larger floral stamp with carved pumpkin and the smaller details stamps in abandoned coral and crackling fire. For the center of the flower, I second generation stamped in black dye ink.
Once the larger floral layers were complete, I stamped smaller images from the same stamp set in carved pumpkin and mowed lawn. I stamped these images in first and second-generation stamping to achieve different shades of the same color. Next, I added color spatter with orange, green, and gray alcohol-based markers.